Staying Sober

 Addiction, they say we all have an addiction. Something we have a hard time putting down. I was an addict so I know the struggles with feeling like you have no will power over your drinking or drug use. There was research done on Rats and Mice. The conclusion they came to was that the rodents who had no social life, or was just inside a cage alone "used" drank more of the intoxicants.

 While the rodents who had exercise and played with others of their kind stayed sober. If we can relate that to Humans it seems to really come down to feelings of boredom. Not for everyone but me personally I always wanted to drink when I felt bored and idle. But the Alcohol just gave me more anxiety and sleep apnea.

 I would sometimes wake up gasping because of those nasty negative side effects of Alcohol. Everyday of your life you have to be firm with yourself and tell yourself no. And this will be a daily thing. Eventually the cravings will subside. And days without alcohol become weeks.

 The weeks become months. And if you really stick to sober life. Years will add up since you last drank or gotten high. I had made a mistake when going months without alcohol. I got bored one day and didn't feel that feeling of Awe and wonder that I cherish about myself. And the thought of drinking came up.

 I idiotically told myself to drink because "My tolerance is low. So I'll get super messed up" and I ended up drinking. But I have learned from that mistake. Don't beat yourself up if you have difficulty with being sober.

 It doesn't always happen overnight. I had talked to a female friend of mine and she had all together four attempts at cutting alcohol out of her life. But now she has been sober for 11 years.  


Comments

Popular Posts